Posts tagged: 1900s
Nicolay’s Chain Bridge ,Kiev 1900
The Nicholas Chain Bridge (or Nikolaevsky Chain Bridge; Ukrainian: Миколаївський ланцюговий міст; Russian: Николаевский цепной мост) was a bridge over the Dnieper that existed from 1855 to 1920 in Kiev.
The bridge was designed by Irish engineer Charles Blacker Vignoles. Construction started in 1848 and was completed in 1855. The 776 m long bridge was the largest at that time in Europe.
In 1920, during the Polish-Soviet War, the bridge was blown up by retreating Polish troops. It was restored based on old drawings by Evgeny Paton and opened again in 1925 under the name Yevgenia Bosch Bridge. Paton had significantly changed its structure and raised it by several metres, so that the Yevgenia Bosch Bridge may be considered as a new bridge.
On 19 September 1941 Yevgenia Bosch Bridge was demolished by retreating Soviet troops and was never restored after the war. In 1965 in place of the former chain bridge a new Kiev Metro Bridge was built.